Early Years Childcare

My Reflective Journal

Entry #18, 13 November 2009

The children seemed very enthusiastic in greeting me this morning! J'a saw me through a window, waved and ran to the door to wave some more at me. F'n went “Hello Mark!” 3 times in just a few minutes.

M'n, from the 1-2s room, was in the 2-3s room today. She enthusiastically explored every area of the room. When she was in the Maths area, she reached her hand out for each of the 5 boxes which were stacked there, and gestured for me to open them one by one.

Unfortunately her curiosity also brought her to the creative area, where she managed to open a container of glitter all over the floor, which sent a staff member ballistic. Other than that, M'n was better-behaved than the 2-3s, in my opinion.

G'e was in the room again. And he choked on some pita bread! I saw him with his mouth stuffed till it was overloaded, and thought I’d better watch him, and luckily I did.

He brought his hands to his mouth, and started to convulse (it looked like he was trying to cough but couldn’t, instead only shuddering). I ran to him and gave him a few firm blows on the back, while telling him to “Spit it out! Spit it out!” which he managed to.

First came a big glob of unchewed pita bread, then he coughed up some gooey liquid, and another glob of unchewed pita bread. He seemed to be OK after that. I asked him if he was alright, and he responded “Yes”, so I told him to take a drink of water, and eat his food slowly next time.

Moving Forward
I love it when the children greet me, or take interest in what I’m doing (like asking where’s Mark gone, or what are you doing Mark?). It makes me feel like we’re actually building a proper relationship, rather than having it in their minds that I’m just some big adult bossing them around.

While some of them have a preference for sitting on my lap or hanging around me, I’ve yet to see any of them reject another adult and say “No, I want Mark” though.

I find it strange that the younger children seem better behaved. Perhaps they haven’t adjusted to their new environment, and they feel insecure. It’s a good thing that they’re accompanied by staff that they’re familiar with.

That’s the second time I’ve been around when a child was choking (I’m not counting the time a child was choking because he was trying to put a whole spoon in his mouth). It’s a frightening experience, and it seems to happen far too often for more liking.

4 comments:

pattster 16 November 2009 at 01:54  

lolz- are you fighting for more individual attention mark?

would it be good for the kids if they bond so closely with you?

Mark 17 November 2009 at 22:39  

Well, call me egotistical, but yes I like attention. :)

I found it really sweet in my previous setting, when a mother brought a child in, and acted like it'd be a big deal leaving the child there. Like trying to distract her, aww, what shall we play with, look at the cars! Oooh, fish!

But instead the child tried to jump out of her arms, struggling and reaching out for me.

Well, I think bonding with the nursery staff would be good, since they spend such a long time in the setting. As for bonding with me personally, I've only got 3 more weeks left in this setting... ^_^

pattster 18 November 2009 at 01:08  

oh dear- ego blow ...

what happens after teh 3 weeks?

Mark 19 November 2009 at 23:39  

Christmas!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Involve Asia

About

A reflective journal concerned with communication and relationships with children during my work placement for the Early Years Professional Status (EYPS).

Status Updates

It's 2 degrees Celsius! Can't we skip outdoor play just for once? Even the kids keep going "Cold! Go in! Go in!"
I normally write the posts after a long tiring day, so please point out any mistakes you see. :)