Early Years Childcare

My Reflective Journal

Entry #15, 10 November 2009

M't, from the 3-4s room, is always happy to see me. She flashes a big smile, and when I call her name she'll even laughs merrily. Today, she even jumped up and down, which got her in trouble because she was meant to be lining up properly for something.

How odd that a child should be reprimanded for being happy to see me. I recall in my previous setting the preschoolers and I used to play a game, where we'd make rhymes of each other's names. Like I'd say Anna Banana, and she'd go Marky Mark. The room got a new staff member however, who was strict and told the children that's not how we talk to adults...

Moving Forward
I guess it's a bit subjective what's considered acceptable behaviour in kids, and most childcare practitioners don't have the luxury of making their own judgments, but rather have to err on the safe side. Nowadays I try to keep from rhyming kid's names, but I still do it every now and then.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Involve Asia

About

A reflective journal concerned with communication and relationships with children during my work placement for the Early Years Professional Status (EYPS).

Status Updates

It's 2 degrees Celsius! Can't we skip outdoor play just for once? Even the kids keep going "Cold! Go in! Go in!"
I normally write the posts after a long tiring day, so please point out any mistakes you see. :)