Early Years Childcare

My Reflective Journal

Entry #13, 6 November 2009

Cis usually very strong-spirited, but he seemed even more so today. As a result, he got into a lot of trouble with a particular member of staff. She told him off, and tried to put him in time out, but he refused to sit still. She seemed exceptionally cross, and communicated this with a loud tone of voice to C'r, but C'r merely continued to smile and laugh.

On the other hand, Conor seemed deeply upset, with a very distressed face and many, many tears, when someone else had put soap on his hands during washing up. He always insists on doing it himself; it's like his ritual where he'll put the soap on while going "Rub-a-dub-dub, two men in a tub!".

I presented the parent consent letter to B'a's mother today, to get her permission for having B'a as my key child. Despite all my worrying, B'a's mother was very agreeable. I think she signed the letter without even reading it!

I told her that once my placement was done, I could make my observations available to her if she wished. She said that it would be interesting to see, and that she had no idea how B'a's development measured up  to other children.

Moving Forward
The idea of punishing a child is to cause intentional distress/unhappiness to deter the child from repeating unwanted behaviour. But different children will have different levels of distress (or like in C'r's case, none at all) to different punishments. I suppose the punishment system isn't perfect, but it gets the job done... It's not like we should crank up the intensity till the child is reduced to tears.

I wonder if that was a competitive streak showing in B'a's mother? Anyway, I don't expect my observations to intentionally highlight B'a's development level against the other children. Nevertheless, she does seem to be rather "ahead of the class", so I'm wondering what sort of activities I could plan to enhance her learning.

6 comments:

I'm a full-time mummy 8 November 2009 at 07:17  

Eh what happened if there is another person other than you who wanted to have Bella as their key child also?

And what are you supposed to do with this key child? And how long does she has to be your key child?

Mark 8 November 2009 at 11:06  

Interview session? :)

Well, normally each child will have a key person, who takes a greater interest in the child.

But because this nursery isn't as large as others, they prefer not to follow the key person system. Simply because if the child's key person is not around, they'll feel lost, and also other nurseries have problems with the key person system (i.e. staff going: that child isn't my key child, so it's not my job to pay attention to him/her!)

Ok, now mine is a bit different. I'm not Bella's key person, but rather she's my key child. :)

All it is, is I'm supposed to do a minimum of 6 detailed observations on her. There may be some written essays on her later though. And she'll be my key child for as long as I'm there, which for my first placement is only a month plus more to go (huzzah! :) ).

Unfortunately, she seems rather attached to the other members of staff, and she's also got a very strong personality.

Anything else you'd like to know? :)

Tandanie 9 November 2009 at 00:20  

Good Choice! Based on what?...

pattster 9 November 2009 at 02:10  

so why did you pick Bella?

Mark 9 November 2009 at 21:57  

You mean why I chose Bella?

She just seemed like a very bright, cheerful and friendly child.

When I discussed it with the other staff, it turns out that she's also the only child who's in 5 days a week.

Mumzzy 10 November 2009 at 08:21  

what does it mean by key child?

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Involve Asia

About

A reflective journal concerned with communication and relationships with children during my work placement for the Early Years Professional Status (EYPS).

Status Updates

It's 2 degrees Celsius! Can't we skip outdoor play just for once? Even the kids keep going "Cold! Go in! Go in!"
I normally write the posts after a long tiring day, so please point out any mistakes you see. :)