Early Years Childcare

My Reflective Journal

Entry #14, 9 November 2009


Maybe I'm just not used to it, but I really don't like punishing or even threatening punishment on the children. It could be why they don't tend to listen to me when they're being challenging though. Most of the other staff are quick to issue threats followed by punishment, for example "Do I have to count to three?" or "Do you want to be sat on your bottom?"

I felt a silly sense of achievement today though, when L'e actually listened to what I said when I asked him nicely. He was playing under the table during snack time, and I said in a pleasant, non-threatening tone, "L'e, please come out from under the table and sit on your chair."

Maybe he was just bored of being under the table, but I hope it's because he's been bonding with me somewhat. He definitely wasn't listening to any of the other staff member's instructions, to the point that he was frequently put into time out. He's just so full of playful energy that he finds it impossible to sit still, and gets in trouble because when he plays he's rough and (I'm assuming) unintentionally hurts the other kids.

K'm was in a very cheerful mood today. He grabbed every object that had a handle, and used them as  electric guitars. He strummed enthusiastically, even mimicking a rockstar's facial expression and movements by hopping around and singing!

We also had toy coins today. I was examining one in my hand when K'm ran up to me, shouted "Money!", grabbed it from me, said "Thank you!", gave a cheeky smile and pose (like a cowboy shooting a pretend gun and going "Gotcha"), laughed heartily and quickly stuffed it in his pocket.

Moving Forward
I should probably be less reluctant in dishing out punishment to foster some authority over the children. With a room full of kids, it may not be in everybody's best interests for me to slowly speak to them one by one. I'll still try though, as often as the situation permits.

It's good to see K'm adapting more to Nursery. When I first met him, he wouldn't say a word, and would only communicate by tugging at my clothes or tapping his finger on me. He still seems terribly upset when his parents drop him off. He cries inconsolably, but as soon as his parents leave, he's smiling and playing away within minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Involve Asia

About

A reflective journal concerned with communication and relationships with children during my work placement for the Early Years Professional Status (EYPS).

Status Updates

It's 2 degrees Celsius! Can't we skip outdoor play just for once? Even the kids keep going "Cold! Go in! Go in!"
I normally write the posts after a long tiring day, so please point out any mistakes you see. :)