Early Years Childcare

My Reflective Journal

Entry #12, 5 November 2009

In Entry #10, I mentioned how C'r's toilet training at home wasn't going as well as it was at nursery. Today, his dad mentioned that they also used a sticker system at home, to no avail. The room leader suggested taking some of the stickers from nursery to see if it made a difference, but his dad didn't seem keen on the idea.

Interestingly, C'r falsely accused me of something today! I was returning from an EYFS training session, and just reentering the room, when the room leader asked me "Did you hear that?". When I replied no, she said "C'r just said you wet his sleeve! Listen". Conor was going "C'r sleeve wet! Mark did it! Mark did it! Conor sleeve wet!". We were nowhere near water, so it must have been some sort of failure of communication.

Speaking of communication failures, there's a child called A'i in the room, and apparently his parents do not communicate much in English. As such, A'i usually just...hovers around the place, not saying a word and showing very little emotion on his face.

I have not seen him participate in any child-initiated activities, and even at meal times he does not eat his food. I spoke with the nursery chef, who said they've been experimenting with different kinds of foods with him, with little successes here and there. Meanwhile, the staff aren't even sure of his ethnic origin.

Despite his lack of verbal communication though, he seems to like staying close to me, even though we have not spent much time together. Today, he connected more with me. Instead of just loitering around me, he climbed onto me a few times, and also tapped my leg while vocalizing and pointing towards other children who were doing something they were not supposed to.

He even spoke out today, although oddly enough, the only thing he said was "LUKE! LUKE!", which was the name of a child who's usually getting into trouble (and hence having his name yelled out).

Moving Forward
I wonder how come C'r does so well with his toilet training at nursery? It could be because we follow a scheduled structure for the day, so C'r knows what to expect. Or maybe it's because I keep asking him  again and again and again if he needs the toilet, so that we don't have to deal with any "accidents".


A'i's situation is another advantage of baby signing: children can communicate better regardless of their native language. I guess the obvious thing to do would be to find out what language he speaks, and print out a short list of  useful words in his language.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Involve Asia

About

A reflective journal concerned with communication and relationships with children during my work placement for the Early Years Professional Status (EYPS).

Status Updates

It's 2 degrees Celsius! Can't we skip outdoor play just for once? Even the kids keep going "Cold! Go in! Go in!"
I normally write the posts after a long tiring day, so please point out any mistakes you see. :)